Is there a block-based training version of the ngcf model?

I found that the ngcf model in the dgl examples is updated based on the graph. When the graph is very large, get oom, so is there a version based on block training?

Infact,i tried to implement the code according to the training method of block and encountered an error:

Trying to backward through the graph a second time (or directly access saved tensors after they have already been freed). Saved intermediate values of the graph are freed when you call .backward() or autograd.grad(). Specify retain_graph=True if you need to backward through the graph a second time or if you need to access saved tensors after calling backward.

my code:

self.layer_out_dict_arr = []
        for i in range(self.num_layers):
            l = {k: torch.zeros_like(v, requires_grad=False).to(device) for k, v in self.feature_dict.items()}
            self.layer_out_dict_arr.append(l)

def forward(self, pair_graph, neg_pair_graph, block, user_key, item_key):
        h_dict = {ntype: self.feature_dict[ntype] for ntype in block.ntypes}
        for i, layer in enumerate(self.layers):
            feature_dict, ids_dict = layer(block, h_dict)
            for ntype in block.ntypes:
                for j, id in enumerate(ids_dict[ntype]):
                    self.layer_out_dict_arr[i][ntype][id] = feature_dict[ntype][j]
            h_dict = self.layer_out_dict_arr[i]
            pdb.set_trace()
            # h_dict = {k: v.to(block.device) for k, v in h_dict.items()}
        user_embd = torch.cat([self.layer_out_dict_arr[i][user_key] for i in range(len(self.layers))], 1)
        item_embd = torch.cat([self.layer_out_dict_arr[i][item_key] for i in range(len(self.layers))], 1)
        # pdb.set_trace()

res = {}
        for srctype, etype, dsttype in pair_graph.canonical_etypes:
            pos_src, pos_dst = pair_graph.edges(etype=(srctype, etype, dsttype))
            neg_src, neg_dst = neg_pair_graph.edges(etype=(srctype, etype, dsttype))
            h_pos = user_embd[pos_src] * item_embd[pos_dst]
            h_neg = user_embd[neg_src] * item_embd[neg_dst]
            res[(srctype, etype, dsttype)] = (h_pos, h_neg)

return res

and origin code in https://github.com/dmlc/dgl/blob/master/examples/pytorch/NGCF/NGCF/model.py:

def forward(self, g, user_key, item_key, users, pos_items, neg_items):
        h_dict = {ntype: self.feature_dict[ntype] for ntype in g.ntypes}
        # obtain features of each layer and concatenate them all
        user_embeds = []
        item_embeds = []
        user_embeds.append(h_dict[user_key])
        item_embeds.append(h_dict[item_key])
        for layer in self.layers:
            h_dict = layer(g, h_dict)
            user_embeds.append(h_dict[user_key])
            item_embeds.append(h_dict[item_key])
        user_embd = torch.cat(user_embeds, 1)
        item_embd = torch.cat(item_embeds, 1)

u_g_embeddings = user_embd[users, :]
        pos_i_g_embeddings = item_embd[pos_items, :]
        neg_i_g_embeddings = item_embd[neg_items, :]

return u_g_embeddings, pos_i_g_embeddings, neg_i_g_embeddings

We don’t have a minibatch-based implementation of NGCF unfortunately.

I believe the error is caused by this piece as you are overwriting a part of a tensor with some intermediate results, which gradients will pass through.

This seems to be minibatch inference code, as it has a structure similar like https://github.com/dmlc/dgl/blob/master/examples/sampling/node_classification.py#L128-L148, i.e. first loop over layers and then loop over node IDs. However, minibatch training should be looping over node IDs (DataLoader) first and looping over layers second, like https://github.com/dmlc/dgl/blob/master/examples/sampling/node_classification.py#L238-L249.

thank you for your reply, I also agree that error is probably caused by self.layer_out_dict_arr[i][ntype][id] = feature_dict[ntype][j], but i don’t know hot to make it works.
It seems that ngcf model concat layers’ output to represent item/user, because of minibatch-based training and negative sample generated randomly, i need to save all blocks’ layer-output to global variable such as self.layer_out_dict_arr which is same shape as self.feature_dict, and update node representation partially with batch training.
Could you give me some advice?