Is GCN spectral or spatial?

Hi all,

I am slightly confused about GCN being called a spectral method in some overview papers. As far as I understand it, the implementation here, is rather a spatial method, right? Which we can write like this:
Is this exactly the same as the spectral version that is proposed in the original paper?

Or am I miss-understanding the entire difference in general? :wink:

Kind regards,
Erik

The differentiation between spectral GNNs and spatial GNNs lies more at the original motivation. If a GNN is motivated by spectral graph theory, people call it a spectral one. This does not mean that we cannot formulate a spectral GNN from the spatial perspective, vice versa.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation! Just to be 100% sure, the implementation of GCN in DGL is exactly the same as the one from the paper right? Just explained from the different perspective.

Yes, same implementation.

1 Like

so when described as message, reduce, update, then its spatial, but when it is described as H^{i}= W^{i}D{-1}AH^{i-1} or similar then its spectral?

Iā€™m not sure if we can put it that way. The boundary is just not clear if we are not talking about motivations.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.