How can I modify the value of DistTensor?

Hi, all.

I found that it’s not possible for me to change the value of a DistTensor object. See below:

logger.debug("Before: {}".format(
        torch.sum(g.ndata['features'][local_nodes][0])))
g.ndata['features'][local_nodes][0] = torch.zeros(
     g.ndata['features'][local_nodes][0].shape)
 logger.debug("After: {}".format(
     torch.sum(g.ndata['features'][local_nodes][0])))

After running this program, I found the value unchanged. But I thought the source code of DistTensor supports assigning tensor values via pushing the new value to kvstore:

def __setitem__(self, idx, val):
        idx = utils.toindex(idx)
        idx = idx.tousertensor()
        # TODO(zhengda) how do we want to support broadcast (e.g., G.ndata['h'][idx] = 1).
        self.kvstore.push(name=self._name, id_tensor=idx, data_tensor=val)

I wonder if it’s because DGL by default store caches after the first read, and afterwards only reads values from the local cache? Or is the DistTensor by default is read-only?

Besides, as I only need to change the feature values of local nodes, do I have any approach to achieve it?

@VoVAllen Would you please give me some suggestions?

There shouldn’t be any consistency(cache) problem, since the tensor only has one storage in shared memory on each machine. What’s [0] in g.ndata['features'][local_nodes][0]? It seems you are modifying a local tensor instead of DistTensor

I wrote [0] because DistTensor has ntypes. As reddit only has one type, so I set 0 by default.

I want to modify the local tensor at each worker, so that when other workers run dgl.distributed.sample_neighbors as their collate_fn, they can obtain the newly updated tensors.

Would you please give me some advice to help satisfy the above requirement?

The __setitem__ function should work in your case. Did you meet any problem? Could you try use this function explicitly?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.